[THIN] Excel 2000 and Samba 3

  • From: Grant Alexander <Grant.Alexander@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:02:13 +1300

Hi all,

We recently migrated our data from a WinNT server to a RedHat
7.3/WinBind/Samba box.  The system works great EXCEPT for occasions when
Excel 2000 (running on Win2 TSE with Citrix Metaframe XPa) will not open or
save files.  When the user tries to access a file they get the error message
that "Excel cannot open or save any more files due to insufficient memory or
lack of disk space".  (We got both aplenty).

This seems to be the only glitch we are having with the migration to Samba.

We've looked into oplocking and have set "veto oplock files" for all *.xls,
xlt etc

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Grant Alexander
Computing Systems Manager
PF Olsen and Company Ltd
Ph: +64 7 921 1016 ext 830
Pager: 0867 42017
This weeks sponsor triCerat Inc.
triCerat makes your job easier by offering essential
applications to eliminate your printing, policy and profile,
and your application management problems.
http://www.triCerat.com