[THIN] Re: Edgesight 5.4

  • From: "Jeremy Saunders" <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 17:36:30 +0800

Hi Alan,

You can deploy Reporting Services anywhere you like. But let me make a bold
statement and say that it would be best practice to install Reporting
Services on the EdgeSight server itself, but yet use Enterprise SQL
server/cluster as the backend for Reporting Services and EdgeSight. This is
simply because it is often easier and less of a risk to other applications
that use an existing deployment of Reporting Services to deploy a local
instance on the EdgeSight server itself. This is not a full installation of
SQL Server. The catch though, for non-Enterprise environments, is that the
Reporting Services component, under the Microsoft EULA, is considered to be
another SQL Server license. So legally it needs to be licensed.

Cheers,

Jeremy.