[THIN] Re: Dumb Question about Load balancing

  • From: "Andrew Rogers" <Andrew.Rogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:52:04 +0100

How cheap is cheap? We're getting XPs soon, and im concerned about outgrowing
it in the future :)

Andrew
--o--

>>> Claudio.Rodrigues@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 27/08/04 03:16:34 >>>
If you hit the maximum capacity in a TS server, you should be able to simply
add another server to your environment, configured identically, and load
balance them using many different approaches. The cheapest one is the old
and good DNS Round Robin.
If you need something smarter, WTSGateway. Resource based load balancing
with reconnection capabilities, WTSGateway Pro and if you are using Windows
2000 Advanced Server or Windows 2003 Server, NLB (not resource based
though).
Does not matter if you have Citrix or Tarantella or any other TS add-on. As
soon as you hit the max on your server you must add another one and load
balance them. The core principle remains the same no matter the icing on the
cake you choose.
And a question for the list: would be interesting to have a cheap product
that would allow you to load balance (resource based of course) Citrix
MetaFrame XPs so small companies using it would be able to add more servers
to the farm without paying all the extra money for XPa?
If there is demand we can release it next week. :-)

Cláudio Rodrigues

Microsoft MVP
Windows Technologies - Terminal Services
http://www.terminal-services.net