[THIN] Re: Dumb Question about Load balancing

  • From: "Ron Jameson" <rjameson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 23:59:02 -0500

the deeper I get into this the more I feel resource LB will not help alone.
The problem I am seeing with this particular setup was when the users are
already on - they will bring the server down to a crawl during heavy usage.  So
if those 10 users were on a single TS - they will be stuck on that regardless
and I will not be any better off.  Having TS farms is great for the average
user in a company with 500 users for example - RLB or NLB works as planned for
it only looks at predictable signs of load (cpu, network etc) and not the
unpredictable signs of load on a particular program during the course of the
day.

This will boil down to finding the max users this TS can handle when running
the accounting program and scale from there.  How to scale is my turning point
now and I have it down to some choices.

A) Determine if changing from a dual 2.5ghz xeon to quad will benefit and the
ROI is better than a second server. (we have a dell PE6650 with only 2CPU's -
quad capable)

B) Duplicate my TS and manually split my users knowing which users are my power
users and configure their machines to auto login to the proper TS (splitting it
down the middle).

C) (this will only work if the user opens/closed applications and not camp out
in them) Convert to published applications (either combo of wsgateway/wsportal
or tarantella) & with shortcuts to the desktop.  In this I see the LB working
at the application level to direct to the least loaded TS.  This will still not
guarantee a slowdown 100% of the time if the users run the published apps and
under low load - can theoretically end up all on the same TS anyhow.  Then as
they remain on the same TS - they could bring it down during their processing.

Side notes - we have tried CPU throttlers (a free one and relevos), RTScale -
but found unpredictable behavior and odd side effects on this applications
performance.  Not enough to prove it was working.

Ron Jameson
Hamlin Technologies