[THIN] Re: Drive capacity on server WAS Worst TS newbie mistake

  • From: "Mike Semon" <msemon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:07:21 -0600

Is that a nightmare to integrate? Do you put all of your applications on
every server or
do you separate the applications on your servers for core applications such
as office
and line of business applications? I guess what I am referring to is to silo
applications
to make integration easier and take up less disk space.

From: Matt Kosht [mailto:matt.kosht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]=20
Posted At: Friday, February 20, 2004 11:30 AM
Posted To: TheThin
Conversation: [THIN] Re: Worst TS newbie mistake

I agree with you Neil. Sorry to rehash an old thread.

The only significant argument IMO against HW RAID is the added
cost.=20
The controller is  "baked in" to a lot of new servers so. this
argument
becomes less compelling.  This also counters the "go cheap" SW RAID
alternative to disk redundancy.  Disk drives are much cheaper to boot
(no pun intended).  I would argue the labor cost to bring a single
disk
TS server back on after a disk crash would certainly pay for the extra
disk. Plus not losing a server out of the farm has plenty of other
benefits (keeping the user from getting kicked out of an active
session
as you stated, not decreasing the performance of the farm by having
the
users from the bad server spread over less CPU's, etc)

>>> Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 2/20/2004 10:36:03 AM >>>
You know, I recall a very similar discussion from a while back ;-)

And the flack I got from one guy, particularly, after I stated such,
in
response to the "hardware RAID has no place for TS environments" type
argument ;-)

A relatively cheap and easy way of reducing the likelihood of having
downtime on a TS, even if the users can immediately reconnect to
another
server - in the main, they can't get back the session they just had.
And
for a gain in performance, too, considering that paging is always
gonna
happen, whether you've got ample RAM, or not.

Neil

This weeks sponsor Vizioncore, Inc.
--> vc-iMonitor - Performance Monitoring, Control & Reporting
--> vc-iControl - Desktop & Start Menu Management & Reporting
--> vc-iMapper - Drive, Printer & COM Management & Reporting
http://vizioncore.com/products.html