[THIN] Dreamweaver loosing settings

  • From: Keith Robinson <ccaakwr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:44:24 +0000

We recently discovered that we were loosing settings on Dreamweaver MX and lots of other programs because of the way that the registry key value "LastUserIniSyncTime", which is in

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Terminal Server\

is used. Its purpose is to keep the user's registry keys in step with the settings in the shadow area. It does this by comparing the time set in lastUserIniSyncTime with the time stamp of the registry key

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Terminal Server\IniFileTimes

We found the time stamps on all the machine registry keys are being reset to the current time when the server is rebooted at night so that next day the user's LastUserIniSyncTime setting is older than the time stamp on the machine. This triggers a check on all keys which in our case meant that all the keys in the shadow area replaced the ones in the user's registry settings.

I have only found one web page that talks about the key LastUserIniSyncTime

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297379

We couldn't work out what was triggering the time stamp change - it might have been the group policy. We got around it by setting the user's key ahead 3 years after which the user's settings are preserved between sessions. It also made logging in quicker as the system didn't have to check the time stamps of all the user's keys against the time stamps of the keys in the shadow area.

Keith Robinson