[THIN] Re: Dream environment

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:05:54 +0100

I just find for bang-for-buck (and bearing in mind, I do a fair amount
of SAN stuff on Windows / UNIX platforms, esp WRT clustering), that
booting off local disks (normally using embedded hardware RAID
controllers, so there is some fault-tolerance), is less complex, and
more cost-effective.

Having said that, I can see the benefits for people with large farms,
blade environments, and the ability to be able to break the link between
the physical hardware server, and the bootable OS.

But having said *that* ;-), I suspect there's not much in it, with
re-imaging a server, compared with have to mess around with WWNs or HBAs
<shrug>

Personally, I just find it doesn't make much sense to boot of SANs. In
general, that's even reflected in our high-end UNIX environments, as
well as our Windows platforms that make use of SAN disk resource.

Neil

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.

This weeks sponsor Emergent Online.