[THIN] Re: Downgrade Kits

  • From: "Mack, Rick" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 08:57:08 +1000

Hi,

Citrix are generally happy about downgrading licenses, with the only
stipulation being that the number and type of licenses you've got have
to be consistent with the product you're running. So if you're running
1.8 with load balancing, and need extra licenses, then Xpa licenses will
cover the extra user numbers, if you've got IMS and/or RMS, you'll need
Xpe licenses.=20

The only problem then is where do you get the 1.8 license keys you need
to increase your user numbers?

There's a flaw in the 1.8 licensing (a lot of flaws actually, but that's
another story) that let's you run the same license on multiple servers.
So provided I've got 1 server with say 75 1.8 licenses (base plus 50),
1.8 will let me install the same licenses on a second and a third server
etc.

We found this out when we had ro reclone a 1.8 farm in a DR scenario,
and by the time we got around to looking at licensing, we realised that
the whole 600+ user farm was running on a repeat of a single server's
licenses.

Regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack