[THIN] Re: Do not bet on DS3: RE: Re: Harumph! How about this one?

  • From: "Alexander Danilychev" <teknica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:16:25 -0700

Ryan,

MTU size on XP/2003: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314496

  Network                       MTU (bytes)
  16 Mbps Token Ring            17914
  4 Mbps Token Ring             4464
  FDDI                                          4352
  Ethernet                      1500
  IEEE 802.3/802.2              1492
  PPPoE (WAN Miniport)  1480
  X.25                          576

Virtually the same on NT/Win2K: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;140375

Your user might be experiencing issues with ADSL and needs to adjust MTU and possibly RWIN.
Here is a reference how/why to do it (or not): http://www.dslreports.com/faq/tweaks?r=746

Regarding checklat.exe (it is actually ChkLat.exe):
http://www.tekworkshop.com/welcome/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=19

PS. Not sure regarding touching your server -- check user?s ADSL first.

ALEX

From: "Lambert, Ryan" <rlambert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [THIN] Re: Do not bet on DS3: RE: Re: Harumph! How about this one?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:57:54 -0400

Hi Alex,

The ISP claims there is no QoS going on anywhere on the connection.
Likewise, we've verified that there's nothing on our end that would
throttle.

As for my testing environment...

Throughput on our DS3 is dandy. I did some smoking downloads earlier today
from Microsoft. Plus, we're getting <10ms all the way out of our ISPs
backbone. Graphs are saying less than 20% of our max capacity being used on
average. Like I said, if I trace out while I am rendering an image, the
latency occurs right at the CPE (it takes so long to finish loading my trace
actually finishes, heh). I'll take a gaze at the checklat tool, but not sure
where to grab that at? Point me in the right direction? :)

The only thing I notice that's even striking me as slightly odd is the MTU
on the connection is 1418, and obviously by default, the Citrix Server is
set to 1500. I'm wondering if this isn't causing something funky to occur. I
can't seem to locate any documentation on setting MTU values on 2003,
though, and it doesn't seem to be the same as 2000. Thoughts?

Something else to note: Our client complained originally about it from his home, which is why we went to testing on much larger pipes immediately. So, at the end of all of this... we need to figure out why everyone -else- in the world is seeing this same symptom.

P.S. - Thanks, guys. Appreciate the help. This one's got me yanking my hair
out, yet again. Not to mention everyone's pointing the finger at each other.
Microsoft, Citrix, anonymous ISP. Typical! ;p

/Ryan