[THIN] Re: Disk space utilities

  • From: Anthony_Baldwin@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 01:21:34 -0400

I like to use SpaceMonger (http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/v1x.php) to see a
graphical representation of files on a drive.

To get a quick and dirty list of files that are so many days old, I'd use
MS forfiles from the command prompt (I think this is a resource kit
utility).

Tony

"Jim Kenzig http://thin.ms"; <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
08/23/2008 12:47 PM
Please respond to
thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[THIN] Re: Disk space utilities

I know you are looking for a reporting utility but for quick and dirty
view I love Sequoiaview which is a free utility that gives you a colored
grapical treemap of the drive. The bigger the square the bigger the file.
You can then right click on the square and get properties of the file and
it will tell you when it was last accessed.  This will at least help you
get the larger files off your drive in an expedient manner.
Check it out at:
http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoek_informatica/visualization/sequoiaview/

Jim Kenzig
Blog: http://www.techblink.com

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 9:02 AM, <jstrowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A bit off topic (but I've seen worse).  I'm looking for not just a "how
much space" are directories/files taking up, but something that could give
me age of files.

I'd like to propose a tiered storage plan, but don't have 20K to buy the
top level programs to automatically move aged files.  I have to do the
moving the old fashioned way by hand and it would be helpful to be able to
say:
 xxx- files are 6 months old
 yyy - files are 18 months old  etc.

If I can tell folks, your file hasn't been modified or touched for the
last 2 years and it's sucking up 40% of my available disk space.  It is a
lot easier to sell moving these old files off to tape so I don't keep
backing them up over and over again.

NEW! Follow Thin List on Twitter!
http://twitter.com/thinlist
http://thinmaillist.blogspot.com
HOT! Thinlist MOBILE Feed!
http://thinlist.net/mobile
Thinlist quick pick
http://thinlist.net

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message, including any attachments, is for
privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution
is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the