[THIN] Re: Determining which user a TS 2003 per-device CAL license is issued to

  • From: Jeremy Thomas <jeremy.thomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:42:28 +0200

A TSCAL is a per device license, so it's not issued to a user at all, but to
a device. It looks like you can't find the information you're looking for
because nobody has seen the logic in making that information trackable. When
you log on to a terminal server, you log on to the server - you're already
logged on to the client (if it's a client that requires a logon), therefore
it has to take the server name as the logon computer.

If "MAIN" is a windows client, and you have security logging set up in the
correct way, you should be able to determine (through DC event logs) who was
logged on to the "MAIN" computer when the TSCAL was first issued to it, but
I don't actually understand what you might acheive by that.

The users tab in File Manager should tell you who is currently using the
"MAIN" workstation.

I don't think you can tell who loggen in _from_ "MAIN", you can only tell
who logged in _to_ "MAIN", and that depends on you having set up the
tracking for security for logons & logoffs, and on the nature of the OS on
the "MAIN" workstation.

I think I've managed to answer the question, but does that do anywhere near
resolving the problem?

Regards,

Jeremy Thomas

  _____