[THIN] Re: Desktop

  • From: "Joe Shonk" <joe.shonk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:38:37 -0700

I?m not sure I agree with this?  If you?re just looking to deliver an XP
Themed desktop then a conventional SBC solution is still the way to go.

Here a few reasons why companies are looking at VDI:

Simplification of workflow (a VDI desktop looks, functions and can be
managed in the same exact way (or little change) that a traditional
workstation is).  SBC is traditionally a Server Team responsibility.  VDI
is/will become a Desktop Team responsibility.  Virtuozzo add complexity by
changing the deployment workflow tools and methodology.  It also grays the
area of management responsibility.  (Who manages it?  Server team or
Desktop).  A Virtuozzo based will require companies to hire highly skilled
administrators to implement and maintain the system.  Much like they have to
do with SBC solutions.

Hypervisor based technology is easy to understand and explain

Hypervisor based technology is better overall at isolating the user?s
session and application.

Hypervisor based technology allows for multiple OS?  Customers still have
Win9x\Win 2000 only apps.

Along the same lines, some application will only run on XP and not Windows
2003.

We?ve been find a lot of applications (for on reason or another) that use
kernel mode drivers.  Something that Virtuozzo doesn?t deal with very well.

Virtuozzo does fit well with a SBC solution simply it allows for better
efficiencies for LMGs (Silos).

Joe

  _____