[THIN] Re: Design Ideas?

  • From: Greg Reese <gareese@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 12:56:15 -0500

meditech.  figures. That is one nasty little app.  Your users per XenApp
server is more affected by the amount of RAM it has.  Either physically or
virtually.  with all the cores and threading in modern processors, I rarely
see cpu as a problem but user sessions will tear through some RAM.

Citrix once claimed 200 users per server with XenApp on a 64 bit kit.  I
don't know of anyone who ever achieved such results but even if you only get
half what they claim, your still looking at 100 users per box.

We ran HP C-Class blades, the 465C which is AMC Opteron dual cores, dual
processors (4 cores total) with 20GB of ram.  We could run 75 users without
issue.  That was thin clients running a published desktop, office apps, IE,
basic stuff.  We found 20Gb of RAM to be the right amount, doubling the RAM
didn't double the users but it did double the cost.