[THIN] Re: Dell server blades

  • From: "Chris Lynch" <lynch00@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:14:27 -0700

I have personally installed a few blades for a client of ours.  First off,
you need to make sure that your switch supports either EtherChannel (for
those with Cisco equipment), or LACP, Link Aggregation Control Protocol
(which is 802.3ad).  And, if you are wanting to fault tolerant your NIC's,
make sure you have two of the 4-port switches installed.  Also, don't do
EtherChannel or LACP on the NIC teaming.  Only do Fault-Tolerant (or
otherwise known as Fail-Over).

The management software is quit nice.  Deploying the images to your blades
is quite nice.  You will need to reserve some IP addresses in your existing
DHCP server for the Open Manage software has a DHCP server that will deploy
a PXE image to your blades.  Quite smooth, and quite nice.  I know that in
version 3.4, they will only support the 1655, but there are plans for
supporting other Dell PowerEdge servers.  I just received the Version 3.5,
and I am just beginning to play around with it.

Also, read the documentation.  It might be confusing at first, but it will
make sense when you have the software in front of you.

Chris