[THIN] Default browser and ddeexec_backup

  • From: Michael Earley <Michael.Earley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Thin List (E-mail)" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:19:43 +1000

I have searched high and low and have found no references for this ANYWHERE:

I have searched everywhere, including Microsoft Technet and Partners support
areas, and the Citrix Knowledgebase and support forums and through Google
and Dogpile for this, and haven't found anything even mentioning
ddeexec_backup - so we're making history here, people!

We have Netscape installed on our servers. Don't ask, it wasn't my idea. Of
course Netscape takes over file associations and file types, so I've changed
them back with assoc and ftype.

In registry, have a look at HKCR\http\shell\open\ddexec\ and \command\

Here's the weird thing: when a USER starts up IE, it RENAMES the ddeexec key
as ddeexec_backup, and doesn't create a new key ddeexec. It also creates
command_backup, but leaves command there. After this, users can't click on a
URL from Word to open a web site. It just sits there and does nothing. There
has to be a ddeexec\Topic entry that reads WWW_OpenURL.

I've changed the permissions in registry to allow Authenticated Users access
to READ these keys, and only Administrator to make changes, and Removed all
other users from the Permission list, but it still renames the key.

Short of uninstalling Netscape (I'm not sure even that will do it), does
anyone have any other suggestions?

Regards,
--
Michael Earley, CCA
Citrix, Windows, Exchange Administrator

Ph: 3864 0244 ; Mobile: 0400 508 040
E-mail: Michael.Earley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Queensland Studies Authority
Level 7/295 Ann Street, Brisbane, QLD Australia 4000
Ph: (+617) 3864 0299   Fax:(+617) 3221 2553
     You cannot achieve what you have not first imagined ...

Add users now! - not more servers. If you?re using Citrix,
http://www.rtosoft.com/Enter.asp?ID=79