[THIN] Re: Default Printers

  • From: "John Hardwick" <jhardwick@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 14:20:57 -0500

I've had problems with users and default printers for quite some time now.  My
environment is essentially the same.  I have a series of policies defined that
will assign printers based on the user, and all of them are set to not touch
the default printer.  My users don't have access to a desktop at all, so If the
user sets a default printer within an individual app's print dialog, or through
a published printer control panel sometimes the setting will be retained and
sometimes it won't.  Generally I thought it was an issue with roaming profiles,
and so I've ensured that they don't have any other applications open at the
same time, etc.  I can't find the magic variable.

I've even done some research into the applicable registry keys so I could just
reset the user's default within their login scripts.  However, IIRC there are
at least three different registry values that control the default printer, and
they tie to port numbers that are not consistent between TS boxes... so that I
think is going to be a lost cause too.

Before "policies" were implemented in Citrix it atleast seemed that once a user
selected their default it would stay selected.

Please let me know if you find any additional information.

Regards

John Hardwick
President
nXio, LLC.