[THIN] Re: Dedicated Data Collector .. When?

  • From: "Steve Greenberg" <steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:33:53 -0700

Budget :)

It is one of those things that just always seems to work better if you do
it. Our first approach is to combine it with other roles so if the farm is
small it might be the same server as WI, licensing, management console, TS
licensing, etc. On progressively larger farms it becomes it's own machine
but often stays with WI. At some point it becomes necessary but I don't know
the exact point, our clients always have dedicated ZDC's before we ever
reach that point.

One idea we are toying with is to use Virtuozzo to carve out separate
machines for these roles. Virtuzzo is a technology which virtualizes the OS
so you don't have to pay for an OS license for each separate machine
instance but you still get a standalone network identity and independent
services.

Steve Greenberg
Thin Client Computing
34522 N. Scottsdale Rd D8453