[THIN] Re: Datastore Migration in Large XP Farm

  • From: "cherie.watts Watts" <cherie.watts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:53:31 +1000

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the information. But from the questions you are asking, I
mustn't have been clear in mine.

I am NOT creating a new Farm.

And the whole "no downtime" is only the case if your servers are in a
N + 1 situation in every published application. Which we don't have.

The situation is the One farm will have 2 identical Datastores
connected to different servers within the farm for a period of 4 days.

Now from all I have read(which may not be enough), Load Balancing is
performed by the Data Collectors on the values that the servers
provide.
The servers calculate their loads based on the Load Evaluators as
designated in the Datastore.
Servers talk to the Datastore every 30mins(defaultly post FR3) to
determine if any changes were made since the LHC was last updated, or
in the event a change has been made to the datastore or ofcourse when
the servers are started(unless you have the DCNChangePollingInterval
registry key set).

So if there are no changes to the Datastore and the datastores are identical!!

Ultimately Load Balancing works just fine if the Datastore is offline
(for 96 hrs anyway).

Theoretically this should work OK. But I will be testing in the Test
Lab over the next few days.

Oh to answer the question as to why I can't do it in the one day. The
business won't allow it.

Thanks

Cherie