[THIN] Datastore Migration in Large XP Farm

  • From: "cherie.watts Watts" <cherie.watts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:51:52 +1000

Hi Guys

I would really appreciate any feedback on the following scenario.

We are moving our Datastore to a faster Oracle server.
The farm is Metaframe XP FR2/FR3 on windows 2000/2003 servers. There
are 5 zones with multiple application silos, some silos cross zones.
Some servers are located in datacentres others are remote.

Now generally I would think that most people would simply export and
import the database onto the new platform and run the dsmaint(with new
dsn file) on the servers to point them to the new database, all on the
weekend and jobs done.

But our business won't allow us to do this so are looking at doing it
over 4-5 day period. Because of the time delay it's raised a couple of
questions.

Firstly I can tell you that for the period of time, no changes will be
allowed in the farm until all servers are connecting to the one
database.

What is the best approach

1. Migrate 1-4 application silos each day over a 4 day period. Leave
the Zone Data Collectors to last.
a) Questions I have with this are: Will load balancing still work
correctly if the ZDC's are connecting to the old Datastore, while the
application servers are connected to the new datastore.
b) Will load balancing work correctly for the application silos spread
across Zones.

2. Migrate the application silos gradually over the 4 days to the new
datastore. Leave the ZDC's to last
a) Will load balancing work correctly with the application silos
spread across the old and new datastores.

Theoretically I think both of these should work. Load Balancing info
is all dynamic and stored the ZDC's. As long as the information in
Datastores isn't changed then it should be happy days.

But servers do check the Datastores every 30mins for updates, what
will the datastores do if a server doesn't check in?

Any feedback is appreciated. I will ofcourse be running these tests in
the test lab.

Cheers

Cherie
New Site from The Kenzig Group VistaPop.com!
Windows Vista Links, Subscribe to Vista Discussion List
at Freelists.org and more! See:
http://www.VistaPop.com