[THIN] Data Store compatibility - Long!

  • From: <Lee.Prior@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:27:25 +0100

Hi all,

We are looking at upgrading our current MF Xpa FR3 farm to MPS 4.0 in
the next month or two.  I'm just looking at the recommended upgrade
steps.  I'd like to leave our datastore alone until I know that MPS 4 is
stable, can anyone recommend any of the following upgrade paths?:

Option 1. Backup Datastore. Install MPS 4 onto new server off the
network using same farm name, install license server onto server.
Restore backup to new server, move other non-ds servers into farm once
succesful migration is completed.  Move old datastore server to new farm
last.

Option 2. Install MPS4 onto non-ds servers in farm (will current Xpa
datastore server function with MPS servers? - I'm thinking not, but can
anyone confirm?), upgrading datastore server once stability of upgrade
is confirmed

Option 3. Ghost image all servers in farm.  Upgrade all servers in the
farm.  Install license server onto datastore server.  If not successful
then restore all the old servers back via ghost or livestate.

FYI, our licenses are auto-activating so we don't need to fulfill of
activate them via mycitrix, hence why option 1 may be possible (as long
as old and new farms don't communicate)

Sorry for the long email, just trying to get my head around possible
issues.

Comments anyone?

Cheers

Lee
This Weeks Sponsor: Lakeside Software
SysTrack is the easiest to use, most complete way to monitor system and
application performance. SysTrack combines comprehensive monitoring
capabilities with hardware/software inventory, change management, user/web
auditing, and reporting to create a total management solution.
Evaluation at: http://www.LakesideSoftware.com