[THIN] Re: Daily Concurrent user reports - Presentation server 4.5 farm.

  • From: "Andrew Wood" <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 15:30:23 +0100

Ah... turn it on and then wait for the log to run for a day or so – then you’ll
get your graphs as you’re expecting from the Citrix Licensing Console

If you want to do raw usage from Edgesight you could :

·         For each server create a  “Session For a Device By Hour” report that
covers 1 day - this removes the aggregation that are introduced in group
reports and longer time periods.

·         Bring all those reports as worksheets into a new spreadsheet.

·         Create a summary spreadsheet and total for each hour – this gives you
a combined use total, by hour, for each server. you an

It’s a mess I’ll grant you – disappointing that out of the box edgesight
doesn’t cater for simple things like usage, and that there’s not a warning in
the console when you’ve not got logging on that historical usage is disabled.

For the future might be an idea to check out Introspect by XTS which can do
this sort of analysis of Xenapp access for you -
<http://www.xtsinc.com/dnn/Product/Overview/tabid/176/Default.aspx>
http://www.xtsinc.com/dnn/Product/Overview/tabid/176/Default.aspx

a.

From: Andrew Wood <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
farm.
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2009, 4:02 AM

If you’ve not modified the option file you’re not collecting any data, if
you’re not collecting any data your historical usage reports aren’t going to
show any info at all.

From: Andrew Wood <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
farm.
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, April 2, 2009, 9:11 AM

...now I’ve had a chance to read the book...

Your ability to run reports from the license service is dependent on the
license service logging the usage data

By default, report logging is turned off in MetaFrame Access Suite licensing.
To activate report logging, add the REPORTLOG keyword to the options file. This
keyword specifies the log location, and it specifies that the report log is not
overwritten when the license server is restarted.

The options file is a server configuration file that defines licensing
behaviour – your options file is probably C:\Program

Files\Citrix\Licensing\MyFiles\CITRIX.opt" on your license server.  By default
it’ll have

NOLOG IN

NOLOG OUT

as default options. You’ll want to add the following to the .opt file and
restart the license service:

REPORTLOG + “c:\program files\citrix\licensing\ls\reportlog.rl”

This will store usage (for reporting) to the file reportlog.rl – the “+” symbol
means that the file will not be overwritten when you start the service

As the log file can grow and become unwieldy; Citrix recommend  not  having
your report log grow over 50MB. We archive our log files monthly – essentially
a script runs on the 1st of the month, stops the license service, moves the
current report.rl file and renames it and restarts the license service.

I’ve got a script somewhere if you’re interested?

From: Andrew Wood < <mailto:andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:  <mailto:thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, April 1, 2009, 7:43 AM

We archive off our license log files monthly - but we use these to generate
concurrent usage numbers

1.       Historical Usage -> Add report logs (Add your reports from your
archive)

2.       Product Reports -> Choose your product (e.g.  Enterprise| Concurrent
User)

3.       Product Reports -> Choose your date range (e.g. All)

4.       Product Reports -> Choose your summary period (day/ week)

5.       Product Reports -> Choose ‘Number of licenses’

6.       Generate the report

If we want to do a ‘who logged on in the past month’ we can use Edgesight

1.       Edgesight – Devices->Performance->Sessions

2.       Select ‘Sessions for a group by day’

3.       Select your group (we’ve terminal servers grouped by internal/external
– you might have something different)

4.       Select the date range

5.       Generate the report

6.       Export the data to CSV (Or excel, but CSV is quicker)

7.       Import the file into Excel

8.       Select user column & de-duplicate

9.       The resulting list is who has accessed your service over the past
month

Obviously, you can change the time frame to be day/week/quarter as you like.

Hth

a.