[THIN] Re: DESPARATE FOR HELP Pauses ever since w2k SP3

  • From: Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:13:26 -0700

Oh my GOD!!! Yes, someone else has the same symptoms as I do.  Hurray!

Back to our story....
Ryan,  is the general symptom goes something like this:
   User connect normally and enters logon credentials
   User waits forever because logon never completes.
   Admins cannot logon locally at the console either.
   Using CMC from your desktop may show people logged in
   Logged on users never notice a problem
   Only reboot clears the error

This is what I get almost daily.  Changing datastores did not help.  I went
from Access to SQL.  I even reinstalled cleanly (yes, I had to reactivate
all my licenses).

I installed TScale a few days ago and it seems to help, but not get rid of
the problem completely.  The one server I am running it on has gone from
three lockups a day to one.  It's a little too early to tell if it really
helped that much because I activated it Thursday.  Given the long weekend
and our flexible work schedules, it's a bit premature to say it has helped.

One thing I do notice is that my farm that is only accessed by thin client
devices only locks up once every 5 weeks or so.  I think it has something
to do with either drive and/or printer mappings.

adam

                      "Ryan Lambert"

                      <rlambert@NetSour        To:       <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      ceit.com>                cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [THIN] Re: DESPARATE
FOR HELP Pauses ever since w2k SP3
                      thin-bounce@freel

                      ists.org

                      02/17/2004 03:05

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      thin

We have server lockups at login... just after the username/password are
entered.

We have to actually reboot the server/s to gain connectivity again.
Updated SCSI drivers, etc. Dual 1.2ghz with 1gb RAM, 2x 36gb 10k drives.
It can have one user on it, and still do the same. We know it is not
hardware... or at least, highly unlikely. It happens on 5 different
servers randomly... and one of them that does not run any of the
applications that the others do.

We believe it is related to the data store... so we are moving one
server out into a new DB.