[THIN] Re: Convert a .pol over to gp

  • From: "Jeff Durbin" <techlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:06:29 +1300

MS KB 317367 (HOW TO: Use the Group Policy Migration Utility to Migrate
Windows NT System Policy Settings) discusses a ResKit tool that does migrate
policies. However, I wouldn't advise it. Here's the text off a thread from
last year where this came up:

JD
---------------------------------
Another thing to consider is that if you migrate your user profiles, they're
already tattooed with NT4 policy settings, which may conflict with a value
that you then try to set using a GPO. For example, if you have a user who
got the setting to 'not allow registry editing' from an NT4 policy, then you
migrate the user & profile to AD, create a GPO that *allows* the user to
edit the registry, the user may end up with a registry that has two settings
that conflict. This is because the locations for policy settings have
changed from NT4 to AD. I'm not sure what happens when you have this
conflict, but if you plan to create new GPO's and migrate NT4 profiles,
you'll want to test it so you know what you're dealing with.