[THIN] Re: Context Switches

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:34:30 -0000

Bernd - the "two kinds of context switches" - really equates to one.

It really is just the OS switching from a user mode to kernel mode for a
process. When this occurs between two (pseudo) concurrent sessions, you have
to realise a certain degree of this is inevitable.

There is no discernable different in "types" of context switch, though.
Merely the cause.

If the OS switches / timeslices between user mode processes - you have to
realise and accept that in doing so, some kernel process activity will
occur. And to be fair, some user mode activity may well produce or spawn
some kernel mode activity.

There is no true distinction in the type of context switch - so it's a bit
unfair to say that MS don't differentiate or provide a mechanism to measure
this - there is no true difference. What matters is the cause.

Neil

recipient(s) only and are confidential and may be privileged.
If they have come to you in error you must take no action based
on them, nor must you copy or disclose them or any part of
their contents to any person or organisation; please notify the
sender immediately and delete this e-mail and its attachments from
your computer system.

Please note that Internet communications are not necessarily secure
and may be changed, intercepted or corrupted. We advise that
you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us
and we will not accept any liability for any such changes,
interceptions or corruptions.

Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and its
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping
with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they
are actually virus free.

Copyright in this e-mail and attachments created by us belongs
to Littlewoods.

Littlewoods takes steps to prohibit the transmission of offensive,
obscene or discriminatory material.  If this message contains
inappropriate material please forward the e-mail intact to
postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and it will be investigated.
Statements and opinions contained in this e-mail may not
necessarily represent those of Littlewoods.

Please note that e-mail communication may be monitored.

Registered office:
Littlewoods Retail Limited,
Sir John Moores Building,
100 Old Hall Street,