[THIN] Re: Compaq Drive Array - Windows Server 2003

  • From: "David E. Payne" <DPayne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 08:38:11 -0500

Here's what I mean:

Compaq 6400r with a Smart Array 4200 and 3-9.1GB disks.  Rather than using the
Smart Start disk to do an assisted installation, we like to do a manual
installation, where we boot off of the Windows Server 2003 disk and load the
drivers ourselves.  When the install kicks off, we hit F6 to load mass storage
drivers.  At this point, we need the Smart Array drivers on a floppy disk in
order to load them.  The driver files must contain a txtseteup.oem file for
Windows setup to recognize it and install it.

If we don't load the driver at this point, after the first reboot, Windows
won't be able to load because it doesn't have a driver installed for the disk
array.

The problem with the current Smart Array drivers is that they don't have a
txtsetup.oem file anymore.  Are we forced to use the Smart Start assisted setup
in order to load Windows now?

-dave