[THIN] Common Open File Dialog Box - mapped drives not appearing

  • From: Edward VanDewars <evandewars@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 09:18:50 -0500

I have a GPO with settings that are preventing users from seeing any mapped
network drives in any  applications that use the Windows "Common Open File
Dialog Box" and I can't figure out what the problem is.  Specifically, if a
user selects "File - Open" in an app that uses the COFDB (like notepad) and
then clicks on the "Look in" dropdown they do not see any drives (or they
receive "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions . . . " if I
turn on "Prevent access to these drives: A,B,C,D").  If a user manually
types in a mapped drive path in the "File Name" field they will see that
drive (both the contents and it will appear in the "Look in" box but the
drop-down will still not work).

If I disable this one specific GPO or move the server out of the relevant OU
then everything works as expected, so I know it's something in the GPO (the
GPO has lookback/merged enabled).

My goal is to have users NOT see local drives (A,C,D) but obviously to be
able to see their mapped drives.

I thought the seemingly only relevant GPO settings were:
User Config\Admin Templ\Win Comp\Windows Explorer:
 - Hide these specified drives: A,B,C,D (I've triple-checked that it's only
those drives and the network drives that should appear are H:\ or "higher")
 - Prevent access to drives: A,B,C,D (I've triple-checked that it's only
those drives and the network drives that should appear are H:\ or "higher")
 - Remove folder options menu from tools menu: Enabled
 - Common Open File Dialog\Hide places bar: Enabled

If I turn off "Prevent access" then the user doesn't receive the "operation
has been cancelled" error when they click on the look-in list but they still
don't see their drives and if I turn off all of the above they still don't
see their drives (by "turn off" I mean I set back to "Not configured").  So,
turning off all the above does not fix the problem but disabling the GPO
does, so is there some other setting that I am missing?

Needless to say this is driving me nuts.  The other oddity is that Office
2003 apps work ok - i.e. they do not show local drives but do show mapped
drives and the drop-down works.  However, I know Office does not use the
COFDB (plus I use a GPO to set the default file location to a mapped drive,
not that that should matter).