[THIN] Re: Common Frequency of Server Updates

  • From: "Mike Bollman" <MBollman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:36:36 -0600

Monthly, if the patches warrant it.  For example, we skipped the
Critical IE patch in January for our servers and waited until our
February maintenance window for it.  The reasoning was that we rarely
use IE on any of the servers and felt like the threat was low.  Our
process is that we meet each Wednesday after the MS patch release to
review them.  We look them over and discuss possible application
impacts.  If we think there is a risk (i.e. January's MDAC patch) to our
applications we bring in the developers to have a look and discuss.
When then immediately begin testing and rolling out the patch to
infrastructure servers (i.e. web filtering, remote SMS, etc) to see what
if any impact there is.  If everything looks good ~7-10 days later we
roll the patch into production.  Here is a link to a interesting report
someone did on the timing of patching:

http://nxnw.org/~steve/papers/lisa2002-time-to-patch.pdf

Mike Bollman
Network Engineer