[THIN] Re: Color Question

  • From: Adam Thompson <adwulf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 11:39:53 +0100

On 13 June 2012 16:35, Greg Reese <gareese@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Way way back when Citrix first introduced support for high color in
> Metaframe XP (FP1 I think, 2002 or so) the trick was that the higher
> color settings actually used LESS bandwidth than lower color settings
> such as 256 colors.  The explanation at the time is that it was more
> efficient code, they weren't going to re-code the 256 color code to
> make it more efficient etc etc.  So, as counter-intuitive as it was,
> the higher color resolution was faster that the lower ones.
>
> Does that still hold true?  i've got a co-worker saying otherwise.  He
> was in high school when this all happened but he's really smart too so
> I don't want to automatically dismiss this because it is very possible
> it changed and I was napping or something at the time.  Being so old,
> I need those mid day naps and things after eating my oat bran.

I realise this is quite an old thread, but if you're still interested,
you might like to look at the "Required Bandwidth" section of:

http://etutorials.org/Microsoft+Products/microsoft+windows+server+2003+terminal+services/Chapter+3+Communication+Protocols+and+Thin+Clients/Remote+Desktop+Protocol+RDP/

This is about RDP, rather than ICA though.

Also, in Windows Server 2008 R2, it seems that 8bpp and 24bpp are no
longer supported.  You can have 16 or 32.

--
AdamT
Гладна мечка хоро не играе.