[THIN] Client Update DB initiative

  • From: Philip Walley <mythinlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 13:32:12 -0500

All,

I have an idea and I would like to get your opinions and possible support. I mentioned to my SE today that I would like to see Citrix work on the client update database. This potentially useful tool has not been updated in years. As you know, the CU db only handles the .exe version of the client and will not update a client that was installed using the .msi. I would like to see the ability of the db to handle the msi packages that citrix now gives us as well as the ability to import custom .msi to update clients. In organizations like mine, while SMS is a possibility, it isn't a great choice. I am of the opinion that I really only want to keep clients that are actually using citrix up to date. I am not worried about installs that never touch the environment. It seems to me that the client update db is exactly what could do the job.

If those of you who know your SEs or have other contacts with Citrix, let me know your thoughts on this idea. If enough of us are for it, it could be included in a future upgrade.

thanks for letting me ramble,
pw
This Weeks Sponsor: Cesura, Inc.
Know about Citrix end-user slowdowns before they know.
Know the probable cause, immediately.
Know it all now with this free white paper.
http://www.cesurasolutions.com/landing/WPBCForCitrix.htm?mc=WETBCC
******************************************************** Useful Thin Client Computing Links are available at:
http://www.thinwiki.com