[THIN] Re: Citrix releases SSL VPN Appliance

  • From: "Lilley, Brian" <brian.lilley@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:57:43 -0000

Steve, I wonder if you can point me in the direction of some good
documentation on the exact workings of this device... or I guess more
specifically, I am trying to fully understand the subtleties of SSL, PPTP and
Ipsec VPN's.

I have worked with a VPN set up over a PPTP connection before.  So, my
understanding is that this PPTP VPN is working at the network layer, i.e. you
end up with an additional network entry in your routing table on the client
device which is tunneled through PPTP.

So, the SSL VPN works at the application layer and provides a TCP tunnel? how
does this work exactly and how is this tunnel presented to the client?

What do they mean when they say Citrix leverages the SSL VPN along with the
ipsec VPN.. does that mean you get a network route entry for tunneling non ICA
traffic, and then you get SSL encryption for 'proxying' ICA connections, or
have I just made all that up?

We are very interested in this box, but just not too sure about the colour.

thanks in advance, Brian