[THIN] Re: Citrix on EMC SAN

  • From: "Landin, Mark" <Mark.Landin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:57:07 -0600

No but we are going to. 1 GBit/sec = 125MB/sec. That's just slightly
under Ultra160 spec speeds (and we all know Ultra160 devices never
really hit 160 anyway) which is what is commonly provisioned in Citrix
servers anyway. I wouldn't run a really really busy DB server on iSCSI
(yet) but the industry pretty much accepts it as "good enough" for just
about everything else. 10G iSCSI is just around the corner, too.

I recommend provisioning your iSCSI on a gig switch with a nice fat
backplane, and to VLAN that traffic off from your "regular" network. I
also recommend utilizing Jumbo Frames on your iSCSI network. 9000-byte
packets instead of the traditional 1500 cuts down on the packet overhead
quite a bit ... you can expect gains of 10-20% with Jumbo. Also, make
sure you get iSCSI adpaters with TCP Offload Engines (TOE). They do all
the TCP packet checksumming and such and keep that load off the host
CPU.