[THIN] Re: Citrix license server down, No RDP either?

  • From: "Webster" <webster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 12:50:13 -0500

Are you TS License Server and Citrix License Server on the same server?

Webster

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Minero, Hector B CIV NSWCDD, K55
Subject: [THIN] Re: Citrix license server down, No RDP either?

I'm using PS 4.5 Rollup 6 for Windows 2003.

Thanks,

_______________________________
Hector Minero
NSWCDD K55
Ph:(540)653-8859

  _____

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Joe Shonk

A Citrix License is still required for users who connect to a XenApp server
via RDP. Even if the TS/RDS server was offline, existing users can still
connect. My guess is Hector is using an older version of Citrix.  Licensing
issues have since been fixed in new versions of XenApp.

Joe

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Pat Coughlin

Sounds like your RDS and your Citrix licenses are on the same box.  Best
practice is to have multiple TS/RDS license servers since, as you
experienced,  if there is no TS/RDS license server avilable.  You cannot get
in remotely using either protocol.

Patrick Coughlin

Citrix Goon

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Webster <webster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As long as a PS server has contacted a Citrix license server once, you have
30 days to get another license server online.  Your servers should operate
for 30-days before they start refusing connections.

http://support.citrix.com/proddocs/topic/licensing-1161/lic-architecture.htm

<quote>

Grace Periods

If product servers lose communication with the license server, the users and
the products are protected by a grace period that allows the product servers
to continue operations as if they were still in communication with the
license server. After a startup license is checked out by the Citrix
product, the product and the license server exchange "heartbeat" messages
every five minutes to indicate to each other that they are still up and
running. If the product and the license server fail to send or receive
heartbeats, the product lapses into the licensing grace period and licenses
itself through cached information.

The grace period is set by Citrix. It is typically 30 days but can vary
depending upon the product. The Windows Event Log indicates if the product
has entered the grace period, the number of hours remaining in the grace
period. If the grace period runs out, the product stops accepting
connections. After communication is re-established between the product and
the license server, the grace period is reset.

The grace period takes place only if the product has successfully
communicated with the license server at least once.

</quote>

Hope that helps

Citrix