[THIN] Re: Citrix farms over a WAN

  • From: "Alex ." <teknica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 20:01:04 -0700

Tony,

It is true that one farm looks more manageable, however it is more related to
the limitations with the management tools when dealing with a large number of
farms. If WAN throughput, stability and latency are an issue, I would try not
to deprive the business data flow as well as pure ICA traffic by introducing
additional overhead of farm synchronization. Looks like your task is not that
simple  :) , make sure you consider all the variables - not just Citrix.

ALEX

Subject: [THIN] Re: Citrix farms over a WANDate: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:47:17
+1200From: Tony.Lyne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hmmm, I like the look of that ishadow application suite. Must look more into it.

What made you go to separate farms over 1? Was it WAN limitations?

Was that on a MPS 1 farm or 3 or 4 farm?

Tony LyneConsultant
Senior Systems Engineer

+64 6 353 7300

+64 6 356 6800

+64 27 472 0696

tony.lyne@xxxxxxxxxxx

www.gen-i.co.nz

172-174 Broadway Avenue, PO Box 1470,Palmerston North, New Zealand

"This communication, including any attachments, is confidential. If you are not
the intended recipient, you should not read it - please contact me immediately,
destroy it, and do not copy or use any part of this communication or disclose
anything about it. Thank you. Please note that this communication does not
designate an information system for the purposes of the Electronic Transactions
Act 2002."

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Alex .Sent: Friday, 2 June 2006 6:14 p.m.To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [THIN]
Re: Citrix farms over a WAN

Tony,27 sites with 2 servers each over the WAN - I would go with 27 farms.
Although you will definitely have a few challenges and not exactly with Citrix
or TS - I suspect mostly with business data replication and application
maintenance. I did a similar project once - 560+ sites, one sever each -
scenario for autonomous offices like independent clinics, for example.
Regarding managing 27 farms - check iShadow Application Suite from
http://www.ishadow.com Some valuable aspects relevant to your project:1.
iShadow supports multiple farms on the same or different AD with one (or many)
unified session screen displays. Allows a mix of pure TS servers along with
Citrix farms.2. Delegated administration with filtering when users of one farm,
one group etc. might not be privileged to see users outside preselected farm,
servers, user groups, protocol, etc.3. Session enumeration can be done over
HTTPS with additional MFCOM/IMA redundancy - will fail over to API session
enumeration if these services go down. It will definitely help to reduce your
WAN traffic plus will allow simplified firewall setup in-between the sites (no
DCOM :) ALEX

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 08:53:29 +1000From: simondavidmorgan@xxxxxxxxxxx:
thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [THIN] Re: Citrix farms over a WAN

Hi Tony,

Given the cost incurred in implementing and maintaining 2 servers at each
geographocal site, why not look at deploying an access gateway solution with
Advanced Access Control.?

Simon

On 5/23/06, Tony Lyne <Tony.Lyne@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Guys/Gals, I've been given a project to scope out a citrix farm design which
consists of 27 sites with 2 load balanced Citrix servers on each site. The
client needs it in this configuration for specific redundancy reasons (ie WAN
redundancy etc…)  Does any one know what the limitations on having a single
farm span across 27 sites (limited bandwidth available as well).  I was
planning on specifying a zone for each site, and disabling load balancing
across zones in MPS 4. Any other pointers would be much appreciated.
Thanks,Tony LyneConsultantSenior Systems Engineer