[THIN] Re: Citrix farms over a WAN

  • From: "Alex ." <teknica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 23:13:44 -0700

Tony,
27 sites with 2 servers each over the WAN - I would go with 27 farms. Although
you will definitely have a few challenges and not exactly with Citrix or TS - I
suspect mostly with business data replication and application maintenance. I
did a similar project once - 560+ sites, one sever each - scenario for
autonomous offices like independent clinics, for example.

Regarding managing 27 farms - check iShadow Application Suite from
http://www.ishadow.com

Some valuable aspects relevant to your project:
1. iShadow supports multiple farms on the same or different AD with one (or
many) unified session screen displays. Allows a mix of pure TS servers along
with Citrix farms.
2. Delegated administration with filtering when users of one farm, one group
etc. might not be privileged to see users outside preselected farm, servers,
user groups, protocol, etc.
3. Session enumeration can be done over HTTPS with additional MFCOM/IMA
redundancy - will fail over to API session enumeration if these services go
down. It will definitely help to reduce your WAN traffic plus will allow
simplified firewall setup in-between the sites (no DCOM :)

ALEX

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 08:53:29 +1000From: simondavidmorgan@xxxxxxxxxxx:
thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [THIN] Re: Citrix farms over a WAN
Hi Tony,

Given the cost incurred in implementing and maintaining 2 servers at each
geographocal site, why not look at deploying an access gateway solution with
Advanced Access Control.?

Simon
On 5/23/06, Tony Lyne <Tony.Lyne@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Guys/Gals,

I've been given a project to scope out a citrix farm design which consists of
27 sites with 2 load balanced Citrix servers on each site. The client needs it
in this configuration for specific redundancy reasons (ie WAN redundancy etc…)

Does any one know what the limitations on having a single farm span across 27
sites (limited bandwidth available as well).

I was planning on specifying a zone for each site, and disabling load balancing
across zones in MPS 4.

Any other pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony LyneConsultant
Senior Systems Engineer

+64 6 353 7300

+64 6 356 6800

+64 27 472 0696

tony.lyne@xxxxxxxxxxx

www.gen-i.co.nz

172-174 Broadway Avenue, PO Box 1470 ,Palmerston North, New Zealand

"This communication, including any attachments, is confidential. If you are not
the intended recipient, you should not read it - please contact me immediately,
destroy it, and do not copy or use any part of this communication or disclose
anything about it. Thank you. Please note that this communication does not
designate an information system for the purposes of the Electronic Transactions
Act 2002."