[THIN] Re: Citrix and Novell

  • From: "Phil Rogers" <Phil.Rogers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <KSirmons@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:03:55 +0100

Keith

If you want file access to your Netware boxes without using the Client
on your Terminal Servers you could try running CIFS on the Netware
systems.

Haven't had much success in the past with syncing NDS and AD but it has
been a while since I last attempted it.

Phil

BTW - NoveLL
;)

______________________________________
Phil Rogers
Network Support Team
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
020 7958 8354

>>> KSirmons@xxxxxxxxxxxx 09/14/05 2:51 PM >>>
Matt,
Thank you.

I was thinking that I will not publish a desktop, but only publish the
apps to the Wyse XP Embedded thin clients.

The only thing the Novel severs will be doing is authentication and data
storage.

Now, If I can figure a way around this, I would not be against syncing
the directories together so the authentication comes from the AD side,
but the files need to be on the Novel servers.

If there is a way to write files to the Novel servers without having the
client on the citrix servers I'm willing to explore that scenario as
well.

Keith

Keith Sirmons
Microcomputer/LAN Administrator
College of Veterinary Medicine

>>> matt.kosht@xxxxxxxxx 9/14/2005 8:34:33 AM >>>

On 9/13/05, Keith Sirmons <KSirmons@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We are looking to move our vet hospital toward a thin solution using
citrix.
>  We currently use the Novel Client on computers to access the file
servers.

> When we move to Citrix, how well does the Novel-Citrix integration
work?

> We are planning to deploy the Microsoft Office applications, Novel
> GroupWise, and our own custom written medical application.
>
> We want to still allow users to keep their office files on the Novel
> servers.
>
> Is there a good guide to go by for setting this environment up or any
> pitfalls I should be wary about?
>

> Also, what licensing issues should we be looking out for?
>

> Thank you in advance for any help or guidance this group can provide.

In my opinion it does not work as well as Citrix does with Active
Directory. It does work well enough to do what you want.  You will
have to run at least Metaframe XP 1.0  FR2/SP2 to get the most out of
this.

We still have some issues with Zenworks DLU policy not being able to
delete roaming user profiles (we roam them from a novell server).
Password changes are an issue.  Citrix PN doesn't recognize a grace
login on an expired password account (I would recommend setting grace
logins to 0 on you Novell User ID's) for example.  The whole setup is
hypersensitive to Microsoft service packs/rollups (which Citrix in
general is), Novell client changes and Zenworks Management Agent
changes.  Also you can look forward to Citrix support knowing next
nothing about Novell integration.

-Matt
This Weeks Sponsor: triCerat Inc.
You need Day Zero Protection!
Get Proactive with triCerat's Simplify Suite.
Solve printing, security and profile problems before they occur.
http://www.tricerat.com/?thethintl2