[THIN] Re: Citrix and Novell

  • From: "Mark Holley" <Holley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:13:27 -0400

I know that we use the Novell client 4.90a sp1 and we are having the
exact issues that everyone keeps listing here. We unfortunately store
our workstation profiles and TS profiles all in the NW home directory.
We are currently getting random profile resets (dropping settings etc)
and we have to run a nightly utility as a scheduled task -delprof - to
delete the old profiles.

We are also getting server slow downs when other users log into the
multiple published applications through out the day.

I have rolled out many Citrix networks but never with Novell and I
personally prefer not using it. Someone mentioned installing CIFS on the
NetWare machines....Does anyone really use this out there? If so do you
have any information on this? I would love to get rid of the Novell
client here.

Thanks,

MH

>>> matt.kosht@xxxxxxxxx 09/20/05 12:49 PM >>>

On 9/20/05, Hutchinson, Alan <Alan.Hutchinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I can confirm that the latest client (as of 2 weeks ago) is not
stable -
> profiles were being loaded, unloaded and then reloaded at logon
resulting in
> (a) very long logon times, (b) other server instability - we got an
> unreleased (as of two weeks ago) patch which cured it. So test, test
and
> test again. You'll also need to go with contextless logins which
requires an
> additional dll,  registry tweaks, and client configuration. If you
use nfuse
> (aka W.I.), you'll also need to test further. Otherwise Novell client
seems
> to work o.k., users will get drive mappings that they're used to
seeing - so
> from a user perspective it's easier for them. That said - I'd love to
get
> rid of it and go to a pure MS environment.

Yep, Citrix is real touchy about the Novell client version used.  I
use contextless logins on the WI though and it works great.  I don't
really have any issues other than the roaming profiles not cleaning
up.  I am just sick of having to spend hours/days/months getting it to
work properly. I am giving up on Novell. Next year I want to dump it
and Groupwise for MS, AD and Exchange.
This Weeks Sponsor: triCerat Inc.
You need Day Zero Protection!
Get Proactive with triCerat's Simplify Suite.
Solve printing, security and profile problems before they occur.
http://www.tricerat.com/?thethintl2