[THIN] Re: Citrix XPe Crashing when printing

  • From: "Chris Clifton" <CClifton@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:08:27 -0500

I had a MS Terminal server with a similar problem once.  Everytime a user with
a particular print driver (at that time it was a Lexmark Driver) established a
session to the terminal server, the server would blue screen and reboot.   I
found it was a combination of that print driver and the antivirus program
running on the Terminal server.  As soon as I removed either factor, the users
were able to connect without problems.

good luck

Chris Clifton
Office 1-859 767-2991
cclifton@xxxxxxxxxx

>>> DAbowitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx 02/06/04 01:53PM >>>

Hello, I have 1 XPe server in mixed mode, farmed with (3) 1.8 Servers.  The XPe
server is hosting 1 application for my accounting department. I running FR3 and
SP3 on the OS.

The printer is an HP Laserjet 4000 using a PS driver.  We are set for the
client to auto-create the printer based on the clients default printer.  The
workstation in this case is an NT 4 with SP6a installed. We have not imported
the print server over to the Citrix server.

I have Citrix XPe server set as follows for printing

Use universal driver only if native driver is unavailable.  I also have the box
checked for Automatically install native drivers for auto-created client and
network printers.

I got the following error(s)  when the user printed to the published
application and then the system crashed.

Event Type:     Warning
Event Source:   MetaframeEvents
Event Category: Printer Management
Event ID:       1103
Date:           2/6/2004
Time:           8:55:48 AM
User:           N/A
Computer:
An error occurred while retrieving client printer properties. Default printer
properties will be used instead. Client name: (824A-A) Printer:
(Client\824A-A#\domain name\Accounting HP 4000 TN #2) Printer driver: (HP
LaserJet 4000 Series PCL 6)

As you can see it is thinking it is a PCL6 driver not the PS driver installed
on the print server.

then after reboot:

Event Type:     Information
Event Source:   Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID:       1001
Date:           2/6/2004
Time:           9:46:28 AM
User:           N/A
Computer:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x000000e3
(0x883bd868, 0x88dce500, 0x00000000, 0x00000002). Microsoft Windows 2000
[v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini020604-01.dmp.

I went back to the client removed their printer mapping to the specific printer
and then re-added the printer and it shows a PS driver.  I then had them log
back onto Citrix and I again get the Event ID 1103 error again.

Now the bugcheck of 0x000000e3 per MS deals with the NTFS file system and not
related to what I'm seeing.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307232

So now I'm looking for some further ideas.

Thanks,

David Abowitt, MCSE
Systems Manager
Jewish Federation Council