[THIN] Re: Citrix XP and SQL2000 Replication

  • From: "Ron Oglesby" <roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 07:49:41 -0600

Ok having a DB in Indonesia that is read only is a bad idea. I mean lets
think about it, there are little things that update the SQL DS that has
nothing to do with changes YOU make in the CMC. You install a print
driver , update the datastore, you install a hotfix (MS or CTX) update
the DS. Etc etc

These are all things that can effect the datastore. Now the copy of the
DS these servers talk to on a normal basis can not accept these
connections.

For Merge Replication I have tried it in the lab with MetaFrame and it
Seems to work. The Problem here is that Citrix wont support it since
they never tested it. So what they do support is transactional
replication.

In transactional replication changes to the Indonesia SQL subscriber
(sent from ctx servers in that sight) are taken by the SQL Subscriber
server and sent to the Publisher (in Canada). The change is then checked
for a conflict and if there is no conflict it is entered into the DB on
both side (really entered into the DB in Canada then pushed to the
subscribers.

I have used this model With Citrix with up to 3 Subscribers in different
datacenters in the US. It works pretty well but of course we always had
a lot of bandwidth too.

In either case you need to setup transactional replication not merge and
accept writes from both sets of Citrix servers. The whole "Second
datastore is read only" is a Myth that Citrix its self created when they
had no clue of the effect on the DS and servers when a hundred or so
remote servers get talking to a Read only data base. Some SE's may still
tell you to do read only but there are too many things that update that
DS to do that.

OH, BTW< as a best practice I still use the CMC off of servers that talk
directly to the publisher. BUT if I goof up or am in a hurry I can make
changes from servers talking to the subscriber and have found over the
wan the Change has only about a second or two lag.

Ron Oglesby
Senior Technical Architect

RapidApp
Office 312.372.7188