[THIN] Citrix XP and MS SP3

  • From: "Andrew Knight" <andrew@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Thin (E-mail)" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:27:36 +0100

All,

I recently posted a question on the Citrix.com/Support forum trying to =
find out what the feeling was regards SP3 and any issues.  I got the =
following response from Citrix which some might find of interest.  Has =
anyone else come across problems that aren't mentioned below regarding =
an upgrade to SP3 or a clean install on a new server?

Regards,
Andrew

CItrix XP and Service Pack3=20
There is a known problem with the uninstall process with the clean =
installs. If the pass through client is not installed during the install =
process, uninstall process might blue screen the server. There are a few =
known issues relating to Microsoft Windows 2000 SP3. Therefore, we =
recommend testing it first before installing it. Recently I had posted =
the following information about the known SP3 issues:

After installing SP 3, you might experience issues with ICA toolbar. The =
ICA toolbar might not be visible on the right side. Instead, you might =
see a grey box on the screen.

I think Microsoft security rollup Hotfix Q311967 causes the issue. As =
the security rollup is included with SP3, you might experience the =
issue.

To reactivate the MetaFrame XP toolbar, use the following steps:

Workaround 1:

1. From the run command, run icabar.exe

2. A small grey box will appear in the middle of the desktop

3. Right click on the small grey box and select customize

4. Select Use Default, then okay

5. The toolbar will open at the top of the screen, drag the toolbar to =
right hand side of the desktop

6. If extra icons appear, repeat step 3 and 4

Workaround 2:

The Microsoft security rollup update corrupts the subkeys of =
HKLM/Software/Citrix/DefaultToolbar and/or HKCU/Software/Citrix/Citrix =
Toolbar. It can be fixed by resetting these=20
subkeys to the values from a working toolbar's system as a 2nd =
workaround.

Please let us know if the workaround resolves the issue.

A customer has also reported that Windows 2000 - SP3 broke some of their =
forms in Outlook and caused some other Outlook issues. Please contact =
Microsoft Technical Support=20
to find out if they are aware of any known issues relating to Outlook.

A few users are also reporting issues relating to printing. At this =
point, I recommend testing the environment with SP3 before making any =
final decisions.

ICA PassThrough Client is not installed when installing MetaFrame FR2 on =
Windows 2000 SP3.

When installing MetaFrame XP FR2 as a fresh install on a Windows 2000 =
server with service pack three the ICA PassThrough Client may not get =
installed.

The missing ICA PassThrough client may cause the Client Distribution =
wizard to fail during install.

Citrix is currently investigating the cause for the problem.

Work Around.

1. Install MetaFrame FR2 at the end do not choose to install the client =
database
2. When done choose not to reboot.
3. From the install media run setup.exe from the following path =
\MF\PassThru\ICA32\Disks\disk1 this will install the passthru client in =
the correct=20
directory \program files\citrix\system32\citrix\system32
4. Reboot the computer

5. Verify the following registry key exist

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\ICA Client\PASS THROUGH]
"PassThrough Path"=3D the path to where the ICA Passthrough client is =
installed. (ex. c:\program files\citrix\system32\citrix\ICA passthru )

6. Install the Client database using the wizard

Also, have you referred to the following Hotfix?=20
Redirected Printing Through a Terminal Services Session May Not Work =
with Windows 2000 SP3 (Q328020)

(<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;EN-US;Q328020>)

Thank you.

> Andrew Knight.        CCI, CCEA, MCP+I, MCSE
>=20
Real Time Systems - 'Citrix Highest Growth Partner in Ireland 2001' =20

> Real Time Systems Ltd,
> Agar House,=09
> 31 Ballynahinch Road, =09
> Carryduff, BT8 8EH,>  =09
> Northern Ireland
>=20
> Tel: +44 (0)28 90817171
> Fax: +44 (0)28 90817172
> Email: andrew@xxxxxxxx
> Web:  www.rtsl.com
>=20
>=20
> This e-mail transmission may contain confidential information that is =
intended for the individual or entity named on the e-mail address. If =
you are not the intended recipient, please reply to the sender so that =
Real Time Systems Ltd can arrange for the proper delivery, and then =
please delete the message from your inbox.
>=20
> If you have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified =
that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance upon the =
contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.