[THIN] Re: Citrix VS Terminal services, what's the difference?

  • From: Jeff Malczewski <jmalczewski@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 12:59:06 -0400

I think that you need to sit down a read a good solid book on Group Policy
Objects..   You don't have to kill explorer.exe..  You can push Mandatory
Profiles onto people, GPO's to hide everything on their desktop, and then
tell the session what apps to launch.  All through GPOs.

As for load balancing, yes, 2000 TS can do this with Advanced Server.  Like
someone else mentioned, it's not resource based..  You just tell each node
what percentage of users to handle.

As for advantages that Citrix has over TS?  I couldn't tell you, I've never
worked with Citrix..  But I do know that for my environment (two offices,
500 people in each, 6 servers in each), Terminal Services does everything I
want, at a MUCH cheaper price than Citrix...

As for pushing shortcuts to desktops, with VBScript, I can push a shortcut
into every copy of every profile in a site (3500 instances of that shortcut)
in about 5 minutes, and it shows up in real time.

There's ways to do most everything you need to do, it's just a matter of
whether you want to take the time to learn to do it, or you'd rather just
spend the money to have someone else write a pretty little interface for it.

From my reading, the only thing I would see as useful is the size of the ICA
protocol vs the RDP protocol (16k vs 48k per session, respectively).  That's
what presently restricting me to ~85 users per server are my pipes...