[THIN] Re: Citrix Server with 2 Nics

  • From: "Dirk Blose" <Dirk.Blose@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 11:50:27 -0400

I've got mine configured across two switches in Fault tolerant mode with no
problems. But you have to use Switch Fault Tolerance not the normal Fault
tolerant mode.

Dirk Blose, MCSE, CCA
Lead Technical Analyst
(919) 765-4791
dirk.blose@xxxxxxxxxx

>>> rslayden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 09/05/03 08:31PM >>>
A little more info on the benefits of Compaq dual NIC configurations running
Cisco Fast Etherchannel. About 2 weeks ago our network engineer monitored
bandwidth utilization of the network traffic across our 27 MF 1.8 servers
and 4 clusters (Compaq PL 6400s/DL580s) and decided that the teamed NICs
would allow more effective fault tolerance if they were re-configured to be
fault-tolerant teams and the NICs split across two Cisco 6513 switches.
After making the changes, the performance in the farm went to heck in a
handbasket from the user perspective, including servers dropping off the MF
browse list, disconnected "black screen" sessions, Citrix servers
unavailable, and many profile and user home subdirectory issues. The 4
SAN-attached clusters that support the farm (profiles and user home subdirs)
had been 4-port Fast Etherchannel teams. Needless to say that after a week
of trying to convince the network guys that it was the NIC reconfiguration
(it's not the network, it's CITRIX!), we finally rolled everything back and
lo and behold, no more issues!

I don't know how many are running dual NICs configured for Cisco Fast
Etherchannel in their MetaFrame environments but it definitely provides a
significant performance benefit in our environment despite the misleading
bandwidth utilization metrics.

BTW, auto configuration is NEVER a good idea for media settings when switch
attached! I've seen lots of strange "network" problems occur when we have
neglected to hard code speed/duplex on server NIC ports.

HTH,

Rob Slayden
24 Hour Fitness, Inc.