[THIN] Citrix Server lockups

  • From: Nelson Brandon - brnels <Brandon.Nelson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 15:12:37 -0600

I am in the process of migrating our existing MetaFrame 1.8 Servers running
on NT 4.0 to MetaFrame XPa running on Windows 2000.  To say the least, this
has not gone smoothly.  The issues we are having are as follows:

1.      Random Server lockups or freezes requiring a power cycle to correct.
All sessions freeze and sometimes the server even stops responding to pings.
No one can log on, even at the console.  There is never any helpful
information in the Event Logs, the system stops logging and when it comes
back up it reports that previous shutdown was unexpected.  Usually occurs
about 1 or 2 times per week interrupting production.
2.      Applications running in Citrix sessions just disappear and the user
has to restart the application within their session.  Once again nothing
shows up in the Event Logs to aid in this diagnosis.

We are publishing the desktop with users accessing SAS, Oracle SQL Plus,
Word, Excel, QVT terminal emulation, Extra mainframe client, and a home
grown, mission critical VB app used to schedule and monitor database jobs.
The user load varies greatly, but the average is probably around 25 users
per XPa server.  The lockups have occurred with as few 10 users on the box
so user load does not appear to be the issue.  Lockups occur on both of our
Citrix XPa servers so the issue does not appear to be hardware related.  As
for hardware resources we have 2 - 8 processor servers with 4 GB of RAM.
One server has 8 - 700 MHz Xeons and the other has 8 - 900MHz Xeons.  The
servers have been tuned following the guidelines in Rick Dehlinger's Citrix
MetaFrame for Windows Servers- Installation and Tuning Tips document.  The
servers are running Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP3 and MetaFrame XPa FR2.
We still have 1 NT 4.0 MetaFrame 1.8 server with 4 - 700 MHz Xeon processors
and 2 GB of RAM that has an average of 50 users on it running the same
applications via a published desktop and it is running without any of issues
listed above.

I found the CTX015294 document outlining compatibility issues between
MetaFrame XP FR2 and Win2K SP3.  I experienced all of these documented
issues during the installation process, as I was unaware of the hotfix at
the time.  My workaround for these issues was to manually install the ICA
client in the proper pass-through directory structure, and manually copying
the ICA client installation files into the proper directory to enable client
distribution.  For all intents and purposes this has appeared to work and
the pass-through client appears to be working and I can distribute ICA
clients too.  With all that background being stated, are there any other
ramifications that we may be experiencing from this compatibility issue?
Will applying the Citrix hotfix correct any of my issues?  Is it possible
that this SP3 and FR2 compatibility issue is causing our lockup and
application disappearance problems?

I initially found this information at www.tweakcitrix.com, Rick Dehlinger's
site.  He also referenced a Microsoft Knowledge Base article 304229 and
pointed at the issues stated within this article as the root of the SP3 an
FR2 compatibility problem.  I am not sure if the VB app is calling any 16
bit processes running in VDMs.  I know that the app is a 32 bit app written
in VB 6.0 but that is about all the information I have regarding it.  What
can I look at to determine if the app is spawning VDMs?  The resource
utilization never appears to be very high on any of these servers.

Thanks for your help.

Brandon Nelson

brandon.nelson@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:brandon.nelson@xxxxxxxxxx>

named above, and may be legally privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended
distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.
please re-send this communication to the sender and
delete the original message or any copy of it from your
computer system. Thank You.