[THIN] Citrix Published only - program calls up ICW

  • From: "Ron Jameson" <rjameson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:44:13 -0600

I am working on a new Citrix server publishing several accounting
programs only to another login terminal server that has the rest of the
company programs including office 2003 suite (outlook used with the
exchange mail server).  Evidently some of those published programs can
email out data and when a user tries this, it runs the Internet
Connection Wizard to setup email accounts.  This is our first run using
citrix & published apps (normally use only TS) so I figured a published
app would still use resources on the login TS but in this case it
appears as if the office suite may need to also be installed on the
citrix box.

My questions...

1) Is this true that if a program is trying to use a resource within
itself (in this case, looking for an email client), it will need to be
on the citrix box as well?

2) If so, will it pull any & all data from the users existing roaming
profile on TS to keep all settings the same in outlook (meaning, if I
install on the citrix box - will I need to setup all users outlook
again)?

I guess worst case is to move the office suite to the citrix box &
publish it, but would rather not.  With about 50 users - I don't want to
resetup all outlook profiles and preferences, shortcuts etc on the
citrix box during this busy time.

Thanks.

Ron Jameson
Hamlin Technologies
This Weeks Sponsor: RTO Software TScale
Services running Windows NT, 2000 or 2003.
http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id)6