[THIN] Re: Citrix Profile Management 4.0

  • From: Harry Singh <hboogz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 20:40:26 -0500

Thanks Joe. I understood what your objective was and thanks for
illustrating it a bit further. But I agree that the same app should not be
ran from multiple platforms, which is why the XD image will be as vanilla
as possible and all apps will be served up by XA.

I dont plan on managing applications outside of XA at all and I'm not sure
where I mentioned I was going to be serving up the same app across the two
platforms.

So if you have an XD deployment using an x86 version of Win7Pro connecting
to apps installed onto a x64 version of XA from within that same XD
desktop, your method of profile separation should work without any
increased logon times and clashes with "last-writes"?

On Wednesday, January 25, 2012, Joe Shonk <joe.shonk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In your XD GPO point it to: \\fileshare\share\%username%\XDProfile
>
> In your XA GPO point it to \\fileshare\share\%username%\XAProfile
>

> Joe

Behalf Of Harry Singh
> Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:46 PM
> To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [THIN] Re: Citrix Profile Management 4.0
>

> Nothing in the latest Citrix edocs explains what value I should should
put as the Variable Value for the !CTX_BIT! (I could be wrong with the
exact spelling).

> I know I should set it as a system variable but what values should I put
in the "Variable Value" field  to identify and differentiate when to use
x86 and x64.

> Is it arbitrary?  E.g For Variable Name !CTX_BIT! I would enter the
following in Varable Value: " \\fileserv\share\%username%\!CTX_BIT!\x86;
\\fileserv\share\%username%\!CTX_BIT!\x64 ?

> That just doesn't seem right.
>
> On Wednesday, January 25, 2012, Magnus Hjorleifsson <magnus@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>> Your best bet is to keep different profile based on bitness. I haven't
tried it with win 7 and 2008 but with 2003 and xp it caused problems

>> Sent from my iPhone
>> On Jan 25, 2012, at 19:05, Greg Reese <gareese@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> X86 and x64 are different spots in the registry anyway so it can coexist
just fine. It all looks the same to the user in the end.

>> On Jan 25, 2012, at 5:49 PM, Harry Singh <hboogz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> That's curious. The implication from your response would suggest that
deploying XA with XD is not recommended. It's curious since I've been told
the exact opposite.

>> Installing all our applications onto the XD image is counter-intuitive
and inefficient. And buying Appsense is simply not going to happen.

>> Thanks for your replies.
>>
>> On Wednesday, January 25, 2012, Joe Shonk <joe.shonk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Why would users be access the same application from two different
platforms?  Pick one, otherwise look into using appsense.

>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>> On Jan 25, 2012, at 3:32 PM, Harry Singh <hboogz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Joe. That can certainly happen, but what happens when a user
logs into XD then accesses applications which reside on XA?  UserA logs
into x86 Windows 7 desktop, opens up MS Word sitting on x64 XA server, I
believe two profiles are being created and used simultaneously.
>>> So, if two profiles will be used, how would you properly setup system
variables to accommodate this?

One for each OU.  Each GPO points to a different file location.

correctly and hoping could help solve this puzzle.
Professional (x86) desktops with apps hosted on XA 6.5. Now, there will be
users connecting to desktops on XD and users connecting solely to Apps on
XA 6.5. I'm not migrating any existing roaming profiles and my confusion
lies in the following:
on the Desktop image and XA servers, such as %profver% If i do, as i
suspect because of the different bitness between the XD desktop (win 7 x86)
and servers (XD + XA being x64) what do i need to enter in for profile
store path ? More importantly, and the area of the most confusion, is what
do i enter inside the Variable Value, should i have to account for
different bitness, to make sure each is properly populated in the "v1 aka
x86" and "v2 aka x64" folders?
properly setup PM for a Xendesktop environment with XA.