[THIN] Re: Citrix Printer Manager crashing, hanging logins

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 04:55:54 -0700 (PDT)

Maybe so but search through the archives of this list, google,  or even the
Citrix forums and it will be made clear that the Citrix Printing service is
singled out as the culprit for system hangs.  The fact that there are so many
different versions of it out there show that Citrix has been trying to tweak it
and get it right. I'm not blaming them, I'm simply pointing out that the
Windows spooler on a multiuser environment needs a good kick in the seat of the
pants every so often and this is the easiest (and free) way to go about it.  It
worked back in the day of Winframe, Metaframe, and Metaframe XP and it works in
CPS.  It is rare I get a call at my help desk about a Citrix Printer problem
and when we do it is usually tracked to something else totally unrelated.
(person trying to print a java/shockwave page, etc.)

  Jim

Jeff Pitsch <jepitsch@> wrote:
    My 2 cents for what's it worth, I have several clients running UPD3 that do
not have any problems with it.  The only clients that I have that do have
problems are ones that are running old versions of languages like Foxpro and
Powerbuilder.  I've had very good success implementing the UPD.  Of course,
this was after HRP1.

  Of course, if you've had other print drivers on the servers, simply deleting
them from printers and faxes, server propertis does not always remove the print
drivers cleanly and I've had to have clients rebuild their servers to guarantee
that drivers were not interferring and that has worked quite successfully.

    Jeff Pitsch
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
  Forums not enough?
Get support from the experts at your business
http://jeffpitschconsulting.com

  On 8/8/06, Jim Kenzig http://ThinHelp.com < wrote:       The print services
have been inherently buggy for quite some time since Citrix introduced their
own little print service (cpsv.exe) to the mix on top of the Windows Spooler
services.  Rick Mack found the Color Laserjet 4650 wreaked havoc on this
driver.  There are SEVERAL hotfixes that contain the cpsv.exe service. I
suggest you check your versions of it and make sure you have the most recent.
Further set up a scheduled .cmd batch job that contains the following:
Call it preset.cmd or something like that.

  net stop CpSvc
net stop spooler
echo y | del c:\windows\system32\spool\printers\*.*
c:\timeout.exe 5
net start CpSvc
net start spooler

  (you can pick up the timeout utility from http://autothin.com/timeout.zip )
  Then add this script to run if the Spooler service fails. It should solve
your problem.  I have this going every 2 hours scheduled on all my servers and
never had a printing problem.  The occasional blip where a print job just
happens to be running at the same 5 seconds this is running  and gets lost far
outweighs no one being able to print.

  Jim Kenzig

Chris Grecsek <cgrecsek@> wrote:
      No ? memory and cpu optimization are both off. We won't get into the
problems we saw with those two lovely tools. J