[THIN] Re: Citrix Memory Management

  • From: Rick Mack <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 16:34:00 +1000

Hi Andrew,

Citrix have put next to no effort into upgrading the capabilities of the
memory optimization stuff since they OEMed it from RTOSoft. So what you've
got is what there is. If you have a look at where the product is now with
RTOsoft TScale (http://www.rtosoft.com/Products/TScale/TScale.htm) it's
advanced quite significantly.

Unfortunately the very act of backing up and restoring the file system will
get rid of the rebased DLLs since they are alternate data streams (ADS)
linkied to the parent DLLs. So the only easy way to retain the ADS files is
to clone and sysprep or newsid the server.

You can't really force the optimization because what suits one server won't
suit another with a slightly different application suite.

A simple description of the DLL optimization is a 3 stage process:

1. monitor dlls to see the optimal rebased load address
2. modify DLLs and link modifed DLLS to original as ADS
3. If the DLL has a rebased ADS DLL and it's not in the exclusion list load
it instead of the original DLL

The optimal load address may vary depending on what is already there so I
wouldn't recommend it unless you've got a bunch of identical servers. In
which case cloning would be easier and faster anyway :-)

regards,

Rick

--
Ulrich Mack