[THIN] Cisco UCS vs HP blade solution for new ESX platform

  • From: TSguy92 Lan <tsguy92@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:39:18 -0700

Listies,

We're close to acquiring a new blade chassis which our production ESX
systems will be migrated over to. We've been an HP shop for years now and (I
feel) have had good response times / quality support from our local HP
support reps. Our routing / switching gear is all cisco.

One of our guys (firewall guy) is completely sold on Cisco's UCS solution
and is adamant that it's the direction we should go with a new blade
chassis. Myself and another of our engineers isn't so sure, and feel more
comfortable with an HP C7000 chassis instead (and looking again at UCS in
the next 2-3 years)

In talking with our solution providers we've not been able to track down a
company that's actually using UCS for supporting a production environment
yet. There's much info available on how well it performs in the lab, but not
that we've been able to find of "real world" numbers. (aside from a few
write ups on cisco's website)

Anyone out there have Cisco's UCS running in prod / installed it / worked
with it, enough to provide some usage details? Did it knock your socks off?
Is this a solution that needs another 2-3 years before it's really
prime-time ready or are we making a making a mistake in not getting it in
the door ASAP?

thanks for any feedback on this,

Lan