[THIN] Re: Changing Registered file types in Win2k terminal servers

  • From: "Jeff Durbin" <techlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:05:29 +1200

I do the same thing with Office viewers. I have a client that doesn't have
enough Office licenses for all his Terminal Server users, so I set the
per-user Office file association for each Office file type during logon
based on group membership. If the user is in a group that entitles them to
Word, they get Word when then click a DOC file. If not, they get the Word
viewer.
  As for not being able to change the fie type in the GUI, that's based on
the presence of the following registry values:

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFileAssoc
iate (Dword, 1 or 0)
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFileAssoc
iate (Dword, 1 or 0)

Jeff Durbin

From centralized application management, business continuity, outsourcing, to
http://www.go-eol.com/index.asp