[THIN] Can this Rebuild be done?

  • From: "Eduard L. Frerking" <elfelf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:43:21 -0800

Thought One:
I have been requested to rebuild an NT 4.0 Terminal Server MF 1.8 Server.
They have only the original CDs and License Information. Can this be done
since 1) MS most likely does not have the Service Packs for NT 4.0 and
Citrix most likely does not have the MetaFrame 1.8 Service Packs either?
Also, I have not built one of these for more than 3 years...I'll have to
clean out some spider webs which the spiders have left a long time ago. What
would be the best procedure? Especially with Service Packs and License
Activations?

Thought Two:
There might be a possibility that only their C Drive is trashed physically.
According to the documentation, after clearing the dust off, C Drive was a
dinky little 2 gb drive. They had place the main system on D Drive an 4 gig
partition. E Drive was where they kept the applications, a 12 gig partition
of physical D Drive. The users data was kept on a K Drive, a physical 18 gig
drive. Of course the only Backup mentioned was done right after the initial
install and nobody knows where that is. Any hope here?

I was told that NT 4.0 must be used because they have some old custom
software that doesn't work with 2000 of 2003. They are not going to upgrade
anything yet.
Eduard L. Frerking
San Jose, CA
elf@xxxxxx