[THIN] Re: Calc adm template

  • From: "Mack, Rick" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:20:22 +1000

Hi,

It's actually very easy to make a hotfix.

What you need is one of the older win2k hotfixes so you can grab the
hotfix.ini and hotix.exe files.

Then it's a simple matter to modify hotfix.ini. I wrote a document on
how to modify msgina.dll with reshacker and replace the existing
msgina.dll using a hotfix. The following text is taken from that
document.

------- start ---

Some preliminary information is required to modify hotfix.ini, namely
the build number, version and service pack number of the system to be
patched, eg,

ver (Cmd line) yields the following information

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

So this is build 2600, Service pack 0, major version 5, minor version 1

The existing hotfix.ini is edited to remove any existing file lists
replacing them with msgina.dll as below:

Note: the NtServicePackVersion=3D256 is calculated as (Service Pack
level*256), so with no services packs it equals 0, with SP1 it equals
256, with SP2 it equals 512 etc.

Eg. Excerpt of hotfix.ini

[Version]

    Signature=3D"$Windows NT$"

    NtBuildToUpdate=3D2600
    NtMajorVersionToUpdate=3D5
    NtMinorVersionToUpdate=3D1
    NtServicePackVersion=3D0
    NtMinimumServicePackVersion=3D0
    HotfixNumber=3D%HOTFIX_NUMBER%

    LanguageType=3D%LangTypeValue%
    InstallPlatform=3D0
    ProxyHotfix=3D0

    RequiredFreeSpaceNoUninstall=3D10
    RequiredFreeSpaceWithUninstall=3D10
.
.
.
.
[MustReplace.System32.files]
    msgina.dll
.
.
[System32.files]
    msgina.dll

[Cache.files]
    msgina.dll
.
.
[SourceDisksNames]
    1=3D%ServicePackSourceFiles%

[SourceDisksFiles]
    file.ext=3D1
  =20
[Strings]
    LangTypeValue=3D0x09
    ServicePackSourceFiles=3D"Windows XP Hotfix Source Files"
    HOTFIX_NUMBER=3D"vsys001"
    SERVICE_PACK_NUMBER=3D0
    COMMENT=3D"VSys MSGINA brand (Pre-SP1)"

Once hotfix.ini has been updated the modified msgina.dll can be
installed by double clicking on hotfix.exe.

-------- end -----

I've since used the same method to make a hotfix whenever I needed it.
Particularly with win2k, it's possible to make any SP3 hotfix you want
using the appropriate SP4 files.

I've done the same thing for win2k3 when the occasional security hotfix
failed to install using the standard  microsoft update mechanism failed.

And if course it should be obvious that this is a great way to get
around the windows file protection service when you want to drop a
crippled explorer.exe, browselc.dll etc to frustrate your entrepenurial
users ;-).

If Jim's willing, I'm happy to post my document to him so you guys can
use it.

Regards,

Ulrich Mack
Volante Systems